Guest House Surrounds
Wedgies With Dayton ND90

With the small size of the room, multipurpose uses, and the likelyhood that sometime there would be people crashing on the floor, the surrounds had to be wall mounted. The outside walls of my home are 12" foam bricks, backfilled with concrete and rebar. The drywall is basically glued onto very thin furring strips. So there are no studs where these will go. Soooo... they need to be light, small and (relatively) unobtrusive.

I looked through my stash and came up with four Dayton ND90s. I used these as my computer speakers with a T-amp. Thought they had more than enough range for surrounds. Sorry audiophiles, I don't do SACD or watch that many movies. I chatted with Wolf about his mega-huge-cap-in-a-small-sealed-box design concept. Basically, a box Q > 1 and a 500 uF cap in series with the drivers. With the low sensitivity, (and the 18 gauge white cable I planned to use)I decided I needed a pair of them wired in parallel. To meet the design goals, I needed a box with 1.5 liters or less net volume. I wanted them to be white, with grills, as SWMBO wanted them to be unobtrusive.

I hate the box on a wall look, so I came up with this Wedgie design. The baffle is 4.25" high, about 4.5" deep at the apex (internal). All miters are 45 degrees. Baffles were individually cut to fit, so they are somewhere between 3/8 & 1/2" recessed. That should be enough to stretch cloth over the outside and not interfere with driver motion. My wife is back into sewing so I'm sure she'll come up with some ingenious way to stretch the grill cloth.

October 31

I decided these were going straight on the wall, up high. I went ahead and cobbled together some electrolytics and used 900 uF in line with positive lead. Drivers are wired in phase, in parallel. I added a couple of short flat pieces where the tops join the base plate. A coat of white primer, followed by a rattle can paint job with some off white and the finish is done. I stuffed the cabinets with dacron batting and installed the drivers.

My wife lent me her cutting wheel/self healing pad to cut the off white polyester double knit I used for grill cloth. (Man is that the perfect cutting tool.) I used some double stick tape to create a "hem" at the short edges. Then a bit of hot melt glue to stick the short edges to the cabinet. After stretching the cloth over the apex, I applied a bead of craft "tacky" glue along the long edges to keep things tight. Not Martha Stewart perfect but all in all very easy and even my wife thought they looked good.